Essential elements of compounded sterile preparations
Sterile Compounding Training
Activity Provided By
Medisca Network Inc
Overview / Abstract
This is a comprehensive two-part Practice-Based Program in Pharmacy composed of a self-study program followed by a three day live program.
The self-study program contains:
- Workbook with highly interactive format that takes a complex subject and turns it into well packaged and comprehensive information based on scientific principles;
- Series of formulas presented in a unique template (used for non-parenteral and parenteral dosage forms and IV admixtures, respectively) specifically designed for sterile compounding and compliant with regulatory guidelines.
The live program includes:
- Controlling, performing, validating and documenting all the activities through out the course of the three days while making up compounded sterile preparations Classroom sessions are composed of a careful mix of didactic and interactive learning. Participants will have the opportunity to assess their skills as the live course progresses;
- Dynamic interactive problem-solving sessions that bring to the forefront of discussion regulatory parameters and scientific principles that govern sterile compounding;
- Series of rotating practical application workstations where the program participant will make up compounded sterile preparations in a compliant environment;
- Opportunity for the participant to work with a broad range of technology from electromechanical equipment in the form of automated compounding devices to reusable and disposable devices (vented balance safety enclosures, horizontal and vertical laminar airflow hoods, barrier isolators and open architecture environments)
- Hands-on experience using wet and dry heat sterilizers, incubators, automated compounding devices and environmental monitoring equipment as well as a vast array of reusable and disposable devices.
Credits / Hours
50 hours of continuing education credit (5.0 CEUs); 30 hours of continuing education credit for its self-study component (3.0 CEUs) and 20 hours of continuing education credit for its live component (2.0 CEUs)
Is This Activity Certified for "Live" Credit?
Presenters / Authors / Faculty
Joe Cabaleiro, BS, Judy Riffee, RPh, BS Pharm, Kelli Hosey, BS; RPh, Ken Speidel, PharmD, Kenneth Latta, BS; RPh, Kerry Earlywine, PharmD, Mark Filosi, BS Pharm, Steve Gillis, PharmD, Tim Klahs, MBA, Vanessa Pinheiro, BS, MSc
Activity Specialities / Related Topics
USP 797 & 795, Technology "Automation", Pharmacology, Compounding of Medications